Friday, March 30, 2012

Support.

I've learned a lot these past three weeks. I can get all mushy on you and tell you how I've learned things about myself...which I have... but I think the most important thing I've learned is how essential good equipment is.  Besides a swim suit, a bike, and some good running shoes there are so many other things that you need to make the goal of finishing a TRI a reality.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Besides the all important emotional support that you need (and that I have definitely been receiving, thank you) you need physical support. I'm talking good socks, comfortable goggles, a clean towel, and a good bra. I don't mean for this to be a product placement post, these are just things I have found to make my experience a more enjoyable one and I want to share.

I joke around a lot, but days I forget my towel are miserable. I'm either trying to dry myself off with paper towels or burning my skin from the disinfectant I slap on the machines for fear of who was on them before me. Who knows what germs are lurking around the gym? The guys from South Park are so right. Always bring a towel. (You can omit the getting high part)


I could not have made it through these past weeks without my Enell sports bra. Seriously. As a busty gal, I envy --and secretly hate-- those girls who can spend 15 bucks on a sports bra at Target and be on their way. I, at first, would be embarrassed to tell anyone how much I spent on my sports bra but let me tell you, it's a life saver. For the low price of $60 you too can own a piece of pink, boob crushing armor. This thing is so sturdy and well constructed I can take a flight of stairs without a single bounce. What black magic is this you may ask? This thing fits like a small bullet proof vest and has TWELVE hooks in the front. TWELVE! Your average bra has like 2 or 3. It makes running and biking so much easier and looks like shiny pink armor. It just screams, "This is not a drill folks, I am not screwing around here." Of course I'm always wearing a shirt over it, but you get my point. Any bra that can make me look nearly flat chested is a miracle. Supporting the girls is key.

Besides my overwhelming love of my sports bra, I also find myself spending, what I believe to be too much money on socks. If you told me I'd be spending money on "good" socks before I started training, I would have told you that you are crazy. Socks are socks. But I was very wrong. There are good socks. Really good socks. I used to spend 6 bucks on a BAG of socks. Now, I prefer the brand SOFSOLE. They have a cushioning that really saves my heels. I still refuse to pay 10 dollars for one pair. (I mean seriously just one?) But I get 3 good pairs for that amount and I don't hate it. Plus they come in cute colors.

So there you go. Considering TRI training? (And happen to be a woman?) Support your immune system, your breasts, and your feet. Get some decent socks, a nice absorbent towel, and strap your girls in for the bumpy ride and you'll have a much better time.

(pictures: roundedoff, runnersretreat, and sportscrazy forum)

No comments:

Post a Comment