Thursday, November 8, 2012

Spin, or How I'm Learning to Enjoy Sweating Like a Pig

Alright folks, I know I make a lot of  bold exclamatory statements. I know I claim, very early on, that I love some new thing I'm doing or trying. I have a problem with finding something new, over doing the crap out of it, becoming frustrated because my expectations are too high, and hating said new love or just stopping it completely.

Than being said, I really LOVE spin class.

 I FREAKING LOVE SPIN CLASS!

For those of you who do not know what spin is, it's basically a group of people pedaling small stationary bikes, listening to (usually) fast paced music which serves as a tempo for pedaling, while alternating positions on the bike like sitting, standing, and bent over the handlebars. The bikes are sturdy little suckers with the only wheel, the flywheel as it's called, being about 50 some odd pounds which is controlled by a little knobber thing that is your brake as well as your tension adjuster. Though on some bikes the tension knobber and the brake are two different things. (Aren't I super good at describing sports equipment?)

You adjust tension based on the instructors calls and that makes pedaling harder or easier.  It's forty five minutes worth of hard work and insane amounts of sweat (sweat is just fat crying anyway) and I smile through every minute of it. I feel powerful and happy when I'm finished and when we are stretching out after class it the best feeling ever. I would totally recommend finding a nonthreatening spin class to try. Definitely do not, I repeat, DO NOT try an advanced class if you've never been on a spin bike. You could get really discouraged, or worse hurt yourself by not properly using the bike. A beginner class, or at least the one I'm taking, will (hopefully) have a nice instructor who will help you adjust your bike, show you all the important parts, and make you comfortable so you can have a good experience.

The first class I took was hard, but I felt great after. Completely sore, but great. Actually, I was sore for days because my bike had a very small saddle and every time I would go from standing while pedaling to sitting while pedaling, the large amount of ass I have would hit the small saddle rather painfully. Needless to say, my first spin class wasn't as great as my second.

I went to my second spin class Tuesday at Beverly Ride On (they share the studio space with Core Fitness, where I do my Pilates -Yes, I'm aware I haven't posted about Pilates yet-) and Christine is the instructor (Also my pilates instructor). It was an Intro to Spin class so obviously it's not as crazy hard as most spin classes are, but it's one hell of a workout anyway. I guess the average calories burned in one 40 minute spin session is 620, which is pretty impressive. Christine kept saying, "If you get tired just remember the number 620!".

So everyone talks about that elusive "runner's high" and I laugh at them because there is no love lost between me and running, but I swear I felt something that was pretty similar while spinning. It was hard work and I felt every bit of it in my muscles. I felt strong. I felt  powerful. I felt healthy. I felt like I had found that something special I was looking for. Remember when I said I was hoping that finishing my Tri would be something that change me to the core? That when I finished I was elated, but not really different? Well I don't know if it was the music or the endorphins or a mix of the two but I was so happy when we finished Tuesday, I honestly felt like crying, a good soul cleansing wonderful cry. I felt light and floaty and I know at this point I'm sounding crazy town, but I don't really care.

I think the fact that I am easing into spinning is helpful. I always wanted to try the spin class at the gym, but those people are so hard core and serious about it that I knew I wouldn't be comfortable trying it for the first time there. I mean, you have to get there a half hour early just to sign up for the class and I was always scared that some regular would try to kill me for taking their bike. Which now I can understand because the bike I rode Tuesday made all the difference in the world and I will be searching for it every time I go. Also, the classes are small. There were 5 of us on Tuesday and maybe like 8 people the first time I went. It really takes the pressure off and makes the experience better for me because that way Christine can really let you know if your doing stuff right and can instruct you on proper bike position and tension.

I don't think I'll ever be a runner in the sense that I want to/have to run everyday. Walking is another story. I could take a nice walk, and try to, everyday. As I trained for the Tri I definitely avoided running but I never missed a bike workout. Yeah, bike workouts were easier and they were low impact on my knees which was nice because I still have quite a bit of weight slamming down on them, but despite being easier I really enjoyed them. I loved doing Bike the Drive. I really love Spinning. Maybe I am a cyclist at heart? Who knows. I have almost a whole year to train for next year's Tri (It's Aug 11th by the way, I had the date wrong before) so I guess I'll use that time to find out my true strengths and weaknesses (a.k.a. running).

I know it's early to declare love of spin. I'm not running out to by a spin bike or anything, even though I really want to. I'm not going crazy and trying to take 5 classes a week. I am easing into it and trying to go every week but sometimes I work on Tuesdays and, for now, that's okay. I'm going to care for this little flame of passion and slowly let it build into a blaring fire that really fuels my losses. I've only taken two classes, but I promise that every Tuesday I'm off you will be able to find me at spin class at 6:30pm. Just don't peak into the window and watch us like the creeper guy on Tuesday. That would be real weird.

2 comments: